pasta

Homemade Ravioli (2 Versions)

I spent 90% of my Sunday battling a ball of dough (pasta and cookie) with my rolling pin. The other 10% I spent in the salon getting highlights – first time!! loving it! It was a day of firsts, in fact. This was technically my first attempt at making pasta (excluding gnocchi). If you have never attempted making pasta because you don’t have a pasta roller/machine, you should not let that hold you back. I had kissed my pasta making dreams goodbye when my Kitchen Aid showed up on my doorstep shattered into pieces after the cross-country trek. But the other morning I was reading on this blog how you can do it with your own bare hands – and highly developed triceps. (For ease and speed, you can always go the wonton wrapper route!)

IMG_2353

Per the instructions, I created a well of flour, cracked the eggs into the center with oil and salt, and kneaded the dough for 5 minutes. Kneading alone will make you break a sweat. The texture of the dough reminded me of over-chewed Double Bubble gum – it was fighting back. Let it rest for 15 minutes, then cut in half and roll out. Each sheet should measure about 16” x 9” and be 1/8” thick. I’ll be honest and tell you that it isn’t easy to get the pasta dough rolled out, but it can be done!

IMG_2354

Meanwhile, I prepared the sweet potato, ginger and sage filling. I scooped tablespoon sized portions of the filling onto the dough, then covered with other sheet and pressed firmly around each mound.

IMG_2358

I found my stemless wine glass to be the perfect size ravioli cutter. I was able to get 15 ravioli from one batch of dough.

IMG_2361

Once I tucked all of the sweet potato ravioli into Tupperware in the fridge, I turned around and made the second batch of pasta dough with shiitake, arugula and cheese filling.

IMG_2363

To delineate between the two kinds, I made them square.

IMG_2364

The leftover pasta became lunch. A little olive oil in a pan with garlic and fresh sage – YUM.

IMG_2362

These two ravioli will be served for Monday night dinner, my new favorite day of the week.

Gingery Sweet Potato with Sage Ravioli Filling

2 sweet potatoes, baked or microwaved until soft
1 tablespoon fresh ground ginger
3 sage leaves, minced
1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
dash cayenne
dash nutmeg

Mash sweet potato in a large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients and spoon 1 tablespoon-size balls onto pasta sheet or into wonton wrappers.

Shiitake, Arugula & Cheese Ravioli Filling

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup shallot, minced
1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, diced
3 cups arugula
1/2 cup ricotta
4 ounces goat cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add shallot and garlic, cook for 1 minute then add shiitake mushrooms. Once mushrooms soften, add arugula and cook until wilted. In a large bowl, combine cheeses and add arugula and mushroom mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon 1 tablespoon-size balls onto pasta sheet or into wonton wrappers. *Warning* You will want to eat this by the spoonful.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s