Today was dedicated to recuperation, involving a lot of rest, television and comfort food. The comfort food of choice was chili because it made enough food to feed Evan’s roommates and I got to use my new pot I just ordered off Amazon This was by far my biggest accomplishment of the day. Thanks to a suggestion from my friend Gracie, a recipe index is in progress!!
I looked for a basic recipe online and found this one for turkey chili. The ingredients I used are:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned kidney beans – drained, rinsed, and mashed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper *I accidentally grabbed crushed red pepper instead, and it added a nice punch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion, and cook until tender.
- Pour water into the pot. Mix in tomatoes, kidney beans, and garlic. Season chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.